PRESENT SRC PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT FOR 2020/2021 ACADEMIC SESSION
PRESENT SRC PARLIAMENT
THE SRC CONSTITUTION
- This document shall be the most sacred document from which SRC derives its power and guidelines that govern all its activities.
- It shall be the symbol of authority which would be presented to the SRC President and SRC Vice President and each member of SRC Parliament.
iii. A copy of this document must be placed before members at the parliament for all SRC meetings
- Any SRC deliberation without a copy of this document at the Parliament shall be considered null and void
- The letters of this constitution must be respected by every student, staff and the school authority. Its violation shall be considered gross misconduct
- The SRC constitution can be amended by the School authority or the two-third majority of SRC members in the House approved by the School Authority when the need arises.
vii. The School Authority shall reserve the right to interpret the content of the constitution. Therefore, the SRC members shall seek the interpretation from the School Authority in carrying out their duties and functions.
The Students’ Representative Council – The SRC
- The SRC is the entire students’ body which represents the official mouth piece of the students
- The body comprises of the President, the Vice President, the Chief Whip, the Secretary, the PRO, the Treasurer, two ordinary elected members and class representatives, the heads of clubs and organizations in the school. The eight-member team that makes up the body shall be elected during SRC general election while class representatives are the class prefects from each class, starting from Primary 4 to SS3. In the absence of class prefect assistant class prefect shall represent the class. Also in the absence of the heads of clubs and organizations their deputies shall represent them in the house.
iii. The SRC shall sit on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of every month to deliberate and pass bills that will secure the fundamental rights and the general welfare of the students.
- The body shall see to it that students obey the school rules and regulations.
- It shall ensure total discipline among students.
- It shall strive to eradicate, hooliganism, thuggery, laziness and immorality instill total discipline among the students of the school.
vii. It shall present suggestions and proposals that will enhance their academic progress to the school authority for approval. The school Authority shall use its discretion in such situation.
viii. It shall recommend to the school authority to organize sports, excursions and other social activities for the students.
- It shall work hand in hand with the school authority to uplift the image of the school.
- All SRC deliberations must have the approval of the school authority else it shall be considered null and void.
- All SRC meetings shall be chaired by the President unless he or she is absent or indisposed then the Vice President shall perform his or her functions.
xii. Four elected members and two non-elected members form a quorum for SRC proceeding of a meeting. Any SRC Meeting without a quorum shall be considered null and void.
xiii. Any SRC deliberation without the chairmanship of the SRC President or in his or her absence the Vice President shall be considered invalid and with no effect, except it is designed for his or her impeachment for gross misconduct.
xiv. SRC shall sanction its members for indiscipline, it could be a suspension or dismissal as a member of SRC.
- All SRC deliberations must be commenced with opening prayer in Islamic and Christian ways followed by the national anthem and the school anthems.
xvi. All SRC deliberations must be sent to the school authority for approval else it shall be considered null and void.
xvii. All members shall have equal vote right. The majority vote on a decision represents the legitimate decision of the House and therefore binds every student when approved by the school authority. A situation where there is no majority on a decision the president or the Vice President in the absence of the President shall exercise his or her veto over the issue.
xviii. Before any meeting is convened members must be given prior notification by the Secretary and PRO.
xix. A member who deliberately absents from SRC meeting without the approval from the President or the Vice President in the absence of the President or the House shall be suspended for two sittings of the SRC and shall be impeached when persist.
- The SRC could play an advisory role by presenting their suggestion to the school authority on administrative matters that directly affect them.
xxi. The act of indiscipline, students abuse, incompetence or misdemeanor on the part of a staff against a student shall be reported to the school authority by SRC for appropriate action.
xxii. The SRC shall call its House as Parliament. The SRC Parliament shall function as the deliberative, consultative or decision making assembly.
xxiii. The SRC Parliament shall be considered as a sacred House which will be accorded with respect by all students, staff and the school authority.
THE SRC ELECTION
- The school authority shall exercise the exclusive power to conduct all SRC elections.
- The school authority shall setup electoral team to conduct SRC elections. It shall decide on when and how the SRC elections shall be conducted within the stipulated period by the constitution.
iii. SRC general elections shall be conducted on the 7th week of third term. And swearing of the elected members should not exceed two weeks after the election.
- SRC parliament shall be inaugurated on the third week of first term.
- A student who wants to contest for an office of the SRC must write to the school authority to express his or her interest
- The school authority shall screen the candidates contesting for the office of SRC President to a maximum of four candidates. Each candidate shall be allowed to present his or her manifesto to the entire students to woo them for their votes.
vii. In case none of the candidates contesting for the presidential election is able to score 50% plus one vote, the candidates that score the highest and second highest votes shall go for a re-run within 3 days.
viii. The SRC Presidential election and parliamentary election shall not be conducted on the same day. The Presidential election shall be conducted before the parliamentary election. The Parliamentary election shall be conducted within a week after the Presidential election.
- The candidates who contest for the Parliamentary election shall not be less than eight and shall be maximum of ten.
- The school Authority shall screen all the candidates contesting for the election to reduce the candidates to the required number stipulated by the constitution.
- All students shall have equal vote right. And every student is eligible voter except if he or she is under suspension.
xii. All election petitions must be submitted to the school authority the following day to settle.
xiii. Any petition submitted later shall be considered null and void.
xiv. The chairman of the electoral team set up by the school authority shall announce all election results.
- The election result shall be announced within two hours after the election.
xvi. Any election that experience any form of irregularity shall be annulled by the school authority and fresh election shall be conducted within 72hours.
xvii. A day before the election the school shall close by 12:00pm for final campaign where candidates will be given the last opportunity to address the students to canvas for votes.
xviii. Candidates shall be introduced to the students for acquaintance and he or she shall be given the opportunity to deliver speeches to the students.
xix. A candidate contesting for the office must come from SS2 except when the school authority has indicted the entire SS2 students for gross misconduct or in the wisdom of the school Authority none of SS2 students possess the quality to be SRC President, vice or member of Parliament. Then SS1 class shall be considered for the office of the SRC President, vice and members of Parliament.
- A candidate who is declared the winner of the SRC presidential election, must at least score 50% plus one vote of the total votes cast.
The SRC Account
- The SRC shall operate its account with the authority.
- The SRC shall levy its students to create fund for the activities of the SRC in the school.
iii. Members of SRC are not allowed to use SRC fund for their personal interest.
- The treasurer shall keep the records of SRC account.
- Any fund released to the SRC by the school authority for a project or activity shall be in the custody of the treasurer.
vi Money needed for any SRC activity must be approved by two – third majority of the parliament.
vii. The SRC fund shall not be used by the school authority for a project or activity without two – third majority approval of the parliament.
viii. Misappropriation of SRC fund shall be considered a gross misconduct
- The state of SRC finance shall be made known to members at every sitting.
- The School authority shall officially update the students on the SRC account during SRC day.
THE SRC PRESIDENT
- The President of the SRC shall be elected fromSS2 Class of the school whose
tenure of the office shall be a year or as the case may be except no one qualifies from SS2 class or no one expresses interest. Then the next lower class shall be considered
- He or she shall be elected by the students during SRC general election and can re-contest if he or she is still available in the school after the expiration of his or her tenure.
iii. A student in SS2 class who wants to contest for the SRC President must have been in the school not less than two years.
- A student who wants to contest for the president must write the school authority to express his or her interest.
- He or she must be respectful, responsible, discipline, dedicated, neat and academically sound.
vi He or She must not have any negative record, like indiscipline, suspension, rascality, etc.
vii. The candidate who is declared the winner of the SRC presidential election must score at least 50% plus one vote of the total votes cast.
viii. The school Authority shall present the president elect a copy of SRC constitution and decorates him or her with the insignia of the office of SRC president during the swearing-in ceremony and shall be the symbol of authority, dignity and respect.
- The outgoing president will submit those objects to the school authority during the swearing-in ceremony to decorate the president elect.
- The SRC president shall be the highest office of SRC body.
- The SRC president shall have the records of the SRC account.
xii. He or She presides over all SRC deliberation. In case a member is sick or absent the SRC president shall temporary appoint a competent member to carry out his or her duty.
xiii. The SRC President has the power to impose minor sanctions on erring members but major sanctions shall seek the approval of the school authority or the two-third majority of the house.
xiv. Any deliberation without the chairmanship of SRC president shall be considered null and void except he or she is absent or on suspension which the Vice president shall resume his duty.
- The SRC president shall be a member of the school ethics and disciplinary committee with issues that concern the students.
- All students of the school shall offer the president their allegiance and respect as their leader.
xvi. Any act of disrespect to him or her on the part of any student is tantamount to caning, suspension or dismissal from the school depending on the degree of the offence.
xvii. An impeached member of SRC President cannot hold any office of SRC.
xviii. The school authority and the entire staff shall recognize him or her as a
leader and shall offer him or her the guidance, support and cooperation to succeed.
xix. The President can be impeached or removed from office for misconduct, indiscipline, immorality and abuse of office by the school authority or by two –third majority decision of the house approved by the school authority which the vice president shall take over as SRC president.
- If the president is impeached or removed from office or his or her office is vacant the vice president takes over as president and the SRC Chief Whip shall also take over as vice president. In that case fresh election shall be conducted for another member of parliament to fill the vacuum created. And that the House shall elect a new chief whip.
xxi. The swearing-in of the Vice President as President shall not exceed one week from the day the president impeached.
THE SRC VICE PRESIDENT
- The SRC Vice President shall be elected from the SS2 class of the school whose tenure in office shall be one year.
- The office of the Vice President shall be the second highest in office of the SRC body.
iii. The Vice President shall be elected by the students during SRC general election and can re-contest if he or she is still available in the school.
- A student from SS2 class who becomes the SRC Vice President shall contest for the office of SRC President and scores the second highest of the total votes cast in the SRC general election.
- A student who wants to become the vice president must be respectful; responsible, discipline, dedicated, neat and academically sound.
- A students who becomes SRC Vice president must have spent not less than two years in the school.
vii. The Vice President can be delegated with a responsibility when the president deems it necessary.
viii. He or she shall perform all the functions of the president in his absence in acting capacity.
- The Vice President shall be a member of the school Ethics and Disciplinary Committees with the issues that concern the students.
- Any act of disrespect to him or her on the part of any students is tantamount to canning, suspension or dismissal from school depending on the degree of the offence.
- The Staff and the school Authority shall recognize him or her as a leader of the students and shall offer him or her guidance, support and cooperation to succeed.
xii. He or She can be impeached or removed from office for misconduct, indiscipline, immorality and abuse of office by the School Authority or by two- third majority decision of House approved by the School Authority.
xiii. In case the Vice President is impeached or his post becomes vacant, the Chief Whip shall be sworn-in as the Vice President and election for a member of Parliament shall be conducted to fill the vacuum created.
THE SRC Chief Whip
- The SRC Chief Whip shall be the third highest office of the SRC body
- He or She shall be elected as SRC Member of Parliament and later elected as chief whip by majority of the House during their plenary sitting after the SRC Parliament has been inaugurated by the School Authority.
iii. The chief whip shall take instruction from the president to organize and coordinate the activities of the SRC.
- He or She shall take instructions from the President to ensure total discipline and comportment in all the SRC activities.
- He or She must be neat, polite, discipline, dedicated and academically sound.
- He or She shall first contest and win as SRC member of Parliament and later elected as a chief whip by majority decision of the house during their first sitting after the parliament have been inaugurated.
vii. He or She can be impeached by two – third majority decision in the house approved by the school authority for incompetence, indiscipline, lack of commitment and abuse of office.
viii. In case of impeachment the house shall elect one elected member of the parliament as chief whip within three days. Therefore, election shall be conducted for a new Member of Parliament within seven days to fill the vacuum created.
THE SRC Public Relation Officer (P. R. O)
- The SRC PRO shall be liaison personnel between the SRC and general public
- He or she shall be in charge of issues connected with the public
iii. He or She shall take instruction from the President of the House to attend to public
enquiries, receiving information for SRC and sending messages of the SRC to the public.
- A member who wants to be elected SRC PRO must be academically sound, polite, social, dedicated, discipline and neat.
- He or She shall first contest and win as a member of the SRC Parliament and later elected as PRO by majority of the House during their first sitting after their inauguration.
- He or She can be impeached by two third majority of the house approved by the school authority for incompetent, indiscipline, lake of commitment and abuse of office .
vii. In case of impeachment, the house shall elect one of the member as PRO within three days after which election shall be conducted for a new member of parliament for the House.
THE SRC SECRETARY
- The SRC secretary is in charge of all the correspondence and record of the SRC
- He or She shall have the copies of the records of each office of the SRC and shall be kept as the SRC reference point
iii. He or She shall take instructions from the President to carry out his duty
- He or She shall officially notify members for SRC meeting.
- The SRC Secretary reads and take the minute of SRC meetings.
- The Secretary of the SRC must first contest as SRC member of parliament and later elect by the majority of the House as SRC Secretary during their first seating after their inauguration
vii He or She can be demoted to ordinary member of parliament of suspended or impeached by two-third majority of the House as result of indiscipline, lack of commitment , incompetence and abuse of office.
viii. A member who want to be SRC Secretary must be polite, academically sound, neat, discipline and committed
- In case of impeachment, the House shall elect of its member of parliament as Secretary within three days after which election shall be conducted for a new member of parliament for the House
- If the secretary is under suspension or absent the President shall appoint any competent member of the House to temporary act as secretary.
THE ORDINARY MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT
- The Ordinary Members of Parliament shall be elected by the students during SRC general election.
- He or She must be academically sound, neat, discipline and responsible.
iii. He or She shall be one of the first six of the candidates who contested for SRC Member of Parliament of the House.
- When the President Vice President and chief whip are impeached, any member of the House or any student who qualify can contest for President or Vice President.
- In case Ordinary Member of Parliament is elected as President or Vice President, he or she shall lose his or her previous office in the House and for that matter another member shall be required to be elected for the House within three days.
- A student who wants to be elected as a member of Parliament must have spent at least one year in the school.
- The Class Representatives shall be the various class prefects from Primary 4 and J.S.S 1 to SSS 3 including the Senior Prefect and the vice of the Primary School.
- The class prefects shall be elected by the students of their classes and their elections shall be conducted and supervised by their class teachers.
iii. Any class prefect elected without the supervision of the class teacher is null and void
- The class Representatives shall have the same vote right as other members in the decision making process in the House.
- A class Representative can be impeached or suspended by two third majority of the House as a result of indiscipline, incompetence and abuse of office after which a letter shall be written to his or her class through the class teacher within forty eight hours.
- In case of impeachment, the class teacher shall conduct fresh election for a new class prefect.
vii. A class prefect representing his class in the house for the first time shall submit a letter of approval from his class signed by the class teacher to the house through the President and he or she shall be introduced to the entire house.
viii. A class can impeach its member from the house by two – third majority of the class approved by the class teacher after which a letter shall be sent to the house through the SRC President as result of indiscipline, incompetent or abuse of office.
- A class Representative impeached by his or her class shall not be recognized by the House.